Installing RutGuard® is a simple process that results in a long-term solution. Most required or suggested tools can be purchased or rented at your local hardware, tool, or home and garden supply store.
PREP | EXPAND | FILL | DRIVE
Download our Installation Guide here or read below to follow the steps.
It is important to note that RutGuard® will take the shape of the pre-existing surface. Prepare the site accordingly to create a level surface that supports drainage. Simply expand the panels within the given area and fill and compact with your choice of material. Once the panels are overfilled and compacted, the area is immediately ready to be used. Download a copy of our installation guide or view our installation overview video.
- Geotextile Fabric | suggested to create a soil separation layer
- Zip Ties | to connect sides of panels
- Infill Material | A crushed, angular rock with a mix of fines is the recommended gravel option. It is strongly encouraged to only use sand for foundation applications where the material will be used within the sub-base layer and topped with a paver, flagstone, small building/shed, etc. For grass vegetation applications, it is recommended to mix a crushed aggregate and soil mixture prior to filling the cells. Contact us for guidance on choosing an infill.
- Wooden / Rebar Stakes* | to hold cells open when filling.
- Shovel, Rake, or Tractor | to fill and spread material
- Plate Compactor or Hand Tamper | to compact material at the surface
*For flat, base applications, the stakes are temporary and can be removed after the panels are filled.
Prepare sub-grade of the installation site by removing rocks and debris from the site and grading the area as needed. RutGuard® will mimic the surface that it is placed on top of. If there are bumps and holes, RutGuard® will follow the same shape.
For longevity of the project, it is recommended to use a geotextile fabric below RutGuard® in order to create a separation layer between the prepared subgrade and panels. Lay the geotextile fabric directly over the prepared surface where the RutGuard® will be installed.
Connect & Expand Panels
Set the panels in place and drive a wooden stake through the corner cell. Connect the panels if installing more than one panel, by lining the panel edges up and connecting them with zip ties.
Pull the panels out to the desired dimensions of the area. Panels are easily able to be cut to desired dimensions using a standard box cutter.
Fill & Compact
Fill the cells with your choice of infill material. Overfill the cells by about 1"-2". For support on choosing an infill material, click here. Compact the surface with a plate compactor or hand tamper. Repeat this step until RutGuard® is no longer visible; the RutGuard® panels should not be seen. The panels are designed to be completely buried.
As a recommendation, test the surface by running your foot over the top layer of the installed surface. If the material still tends to shift and move, that is an indicator that your material is not compacted. The chosen infill material should have the ability to compact. For best results, choose a material that interlocks and has a mix of fines present to fill the void spaces and compact to present a solid, compacted foundation.
RutGuard® is immediately ready for use after the cells are filled and compacted.